Nab Tower Pursuit 2019 – Sat 15th June
Nab Tower Pursuit 2019 – Sat 15th June
What is a Pursuit?
Pursuit? A Pursuit, as its name implies, is NOT a race as such. It is, however, an opportunity to test the mettle of your boat against others. This is achieved by boats starting in groups, smallest first, with the aim of finishing at about the same time. The course will be decided nearer the time but might well be round the Nab Tower and back.
The event is sailed under International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (Colregs) which everyone who sails must know and understand. Start times are allocated in groups. The first group will start at approximately 1000 hrs on Saturday 15 June 2019.
The Pursuit is very definitely NOT a race, but a ‘fun chase to fund raise’ for your favourite charity.
Click here for The Pursuit Entry Form.
Points will be awarded for:
- Early Entry: the earlier you register as a participant, the more points will be awarded; 10% of total
- Fund-raising: the more money your vessel/crew raise, the more points will be awarded; 50% of total
- The Pursuit: the quicker you complete the sailing course (on corrected time) , the more points will be awarded; 40% of total
Charities & Donations
- You may elect to support any charity of your choice, but are encouraged to choose either a charity that has a maritime flavour or is a local Gosport/Portsmouth/Hampshire charity.
- Start raising money. Remember the charity you choose must have a registered Charity Number and you must provide on the Entry Form the name of the Head of Fundraising, Donor Support Officer or, in the case of smaller charities, the Treasurer. Use business contacts, organisations, friends and family, even your crew to help raise funds.
- If you cannot decide which charity to support, then choose our own charity, GOSPORT MARINE FUTURES. Gosport Marine Scene, the organisers of the Pursuit, have developed a programme for aspiring youngsters called ‘Gosport Marine Futures’. This programme funds youngsters who show an interest in marine-related activities, but need funding to pursue their aspirations. The aim is to raise more money to fund this ambitious and innovative programme.
- Remember that the amount of donations made to designated charities forms the most important part of the points system for the Pursuit. The more donations raised, the greater number of points awarded.
- You are asked to create a ‘JustGiving’ or similar page for us to verify the amounts raised. Please provide us with details of your ‘JustGiving’, or similar donating site as soon as possible.
- You will have until Thursday 13 June to finalise your donations on your ‘JustGiving’ page. At this point Gosport Marine Scene will check your ‘JustGiving’ pages to verify how much money has been deposited. And points will be awarded!
Prize Giving & Crew Party
Prize-Giving and Crew Party. After the Pursuit, come and enjoy the prize-giving party at Hornet Services Sailing Club, who are kindly hosting the event, where a barbecue, at £10 per head, and entertainment will be laid on for all crew members, and some berths will be available on a first come, first served basis. Purchase tickets for your crew to enjoy the barbecue when you complete your Pursuit Entry Form. The Gosport Challenge Cup will be awarded to the vessel with the highest accumulated points. There will be lots of additional prizes (e.g. best-dressed crew, youngest crew, oldest crew, most money raised for charity, etc) for other aspects of the Pursuit.
Conditions of Entry
- Every yacht shall be adequately insured and have a minimum Third Party Liability of £3,000,000.
- Every yacht shall be seaworthy, suitable to undertake an offshore passage and carry appropriate and adequate safety equipment.
- On the day, the ability of the yacht’s crew should reflect the prevailing weather conditions.
- Every yacht shall have a working engine and be capable of reefing.
- Application for entry shall be made via the Gosport Charity Pursuit web page. No application for entry shall be accepted after Noon on 10th June 2019.
- Every yacht shall have a working VHF radio and be capable of monitoring VHF Channel 72/77 throughout the event and sending a MAYDAY message.
- Every yacht shall clearly display on the bow (or other suitable position) the Pursuit sticker provided by The Organisers.
- The Organisers reserve the right to shorten the course for individual yachts, according to the conditions on the day. This may include postponement or abandonment of the event.
- The Organisers reserve the right to refuse an entry.
- By completing and paying for an entry for the Gosport Charity Pursuit, participants agree that they accept the Terms and Conditions of Entry and further accept that they are responsible for themselves, their crew and their boats, whether ashore or afloat.
- No action or omission by The Organisers: i.e. The Event Organisers, their Management Team, Patrol Craft and anyone helping to run the event, will relieve participants of their responsibilities.
- By putting to sea, participants imply the suitability of their boat and the competence of the skipper and crew for the expected or forecast conditions. Participants understand that their safety and that of their crew is their responsibility, including the decision to sail in the conditions on the day.
- Participants understand that The Event Organisers shall not be liable for any loss, damage, death or personal injury howsoever caused to the owner/entrant, the skipper or crew, or yacht as a result of their taking part in the Peninsula Charity Pursuit. Moreover every owner/entrant warrants the suitability of the entered yacht for the event.
The event is designed to be a fun and frantic pursuit from Gosport & Fareham Inshore Rescue (GAFIRS), around the Nab Tower and back to GAFIRS; a distance of approximately 22NM. The start line is the yellow bouy off GAFIRS at 50°46.6N 001°09W, with a committee boat as an outer distance mark (details to be announced at the skippers briefing). The fleet will then make for the Nab Tower and, depending on the wind and weather conditions, will return to the finish line off Stokes Bay using the following courses. The chosen course will be announced at the Skipper’s Briefing.
Course 1 Start, Nab Tower, Browndown, Finish
Course 2 Start, Nab Tower, Motherbank, Finish
Course 3 (Shortened course, inclement weather) Start, Warner, Hillhead, Finish
Can I enter any yacht?
Yes you can, provided it is suitably equipped to sail offshore and must be capable of reefing, have an engine and a keel. It must also be capable, under reasonable weather conditions, of completing the course within 8 hours. See the ‘CONDITIONS OF ENTRY’
Can I enter a dinghy?
Sorry, but the answer is ‘NO’
Do I need insurance?
Yes, see the ‘CONDITIONS OF ENTRY’
Can I select my own charity?
Yes, provided it ‘benefits the human condition’ and has a Registered Charity Number. See ‘CHARITIES’
Where do I enter?
You can enter online via ‘HOW TO ENTER’
When do I enter?
There are bonus points for early entry!
Is there a restriction on crew numbers or ages?
I have never raced before!
That’s great, because this is NOT a race but a ‘Fun Chase’, sailed under the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (Colregs) – no knowledge of racing rules needed!
What is the course we will be sailing?
It is a simple course of 20+ miles sailed within the area indicated on the ‘THE COURSE’
The course selected depends on the expected weather conditions on the day.
Do I need to raise sponsorship in order to take part?
Yes. There is no minimum amount but it is suggested £100 should be the starting figure.
What are the prizes?
The prizes, adjudged by the Event committee, are:
- Best dressed crew in the fleet
- Yacht with the cleanest bottom in the fleet
- Youngest average aged crew in the fleet
- Oldest average aged crew in the fleet
- Most money raised for designated chosen charity
- First yacht overall on corrected time in the fleet
- Overall winner with highest accumulated points
Can I win a monetary prize?
No, there are no monetary prizes.
Are there any conditions or rules of entry?
How are points awarded?
Points will be awarded for:
Early Entry: the earlier you register as a participant, the more points will be awarded; 10% of total.
Fund-raising: the more money your vessel/crew raise, the more points will be awarded; 50% of total.
The Pursuit: the quicker you complete the sailing course (on corrected time), the more points will be awarded; 40% of total.
The Gosport Challenge Cup will be awarded to the vessel with the highest accumulated points.
What is the Prize Giving and Supper?
After the Pursuit, there will be a prize-giving party at Hornet Services Sailing Club, who are kindly hosting the event, where a barbecue, at £10 per head, and entertainment will be laid on for all crew members, and some yacht berths will be available on a first come, first served basis. Purchase tickets for your crew to enjoy the barbecue direct from Hornet Services Sailing Club: firstname.lastname@example.org