Tackling Plastic Pollution
As the UK considers a tax on single-use plastics to tackle ocean pollution, The Green Blue takes a look at what boaters can do to help.
What can we do as boaters?
There are steps we can all take to raise awareness of plastic pollution and help tackle the problem. By pledging to help reduce marine debris and encouraging others to do the same, the boating community can be part of the solution.
• Stamp out single-use plastics by using refillable water bottles and reusable bags
• Buy products with less packaging to reduce carbon footprint
• Always choose products without microbeads
• Ditch the disposables – remove all plastic cups and straws
• Consider more eco-friendly alternatives such as cutlery and rubbish bags made from corn-starch, which can be composted
• Take part in year-round beach and shoreline clean ups
• Find local recycling facilities at www.recycle-more.co.uk
• Do not throw anything over the side, including food
• Prevent loose items from blowing overboard
• If you smoke, keep a butt tin in your pocket for cigarette ends
• Do not contaminate general waste by throwing hazardous items in the wrong container e.g. paint tins, oily rags and old electronic instruments
• Get involved, learn more and spread the word